The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) reserved its decision in the long-delayed prohibited funding case previously known as the foreign funding case against the PTI on Tuesday.
The case, filed by party founder Akbar S Babar, has been pending since November 14, 2014. Babar, who is no longer associated with the PTI, accused the party of serious financial irregularities in its funding from Pakistan and abroad.
The PTI has denied any wrongdoing and maintains that the funding came from legal sources.
Today’s hearing was presided over by a bench led by Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) Sikander Sultan Raja. CEC Raja stated that the case against the PTI had been resolved, and that the electoral watchdog also wished to resolve the cases against other political parties.
Speaking to the media outside the ECP, Babar praised the fact that the case’s verdict had finally been reserved. He also thanked those who supported him in his fight for justice, particularly his lawyers and team.
“Our goal from the beginning was to make PTI a role model, which is why we fought this case.” I had no personal or ego, he said, adding that he had spent many years forming the PTI.
“Change happens when you become a role model,” Babar said. He went on to say that for the first time in Pakistani history, the founding members of a political party had come forward to serve as a model for others.
“We’ve heard for seven years that this is a foreign funding case, but the ECP eventually recognised that it was a case of prohibited funding,” he said.
He also stated that the party had provided all of the case’s records, emphasising that all of the money was received through banking channels.